More about my title in a moment.
Anybody on Facebook has noticed an explosion of those Upworthy articles and those very catchy headlines:
Those of us who are of a marketing bent in the B2B arena always struggle with the question of how to get people to pay attention in a cluttered landscape. Add to this equation the fact that many of the people with whom I work are marketing content, records, and information management solutions, and the challenge becomes exponentially greater.
This concept of content virality – and how difficult it is to attain – led me to this Upworthy Slideshare presentation.
There’s lots of interest in this presentation, not all directly related to B2B content marketing, but a couple of points worth repeating in the context of how truly bad most B2B content marketing really is. Some tips from Upworthy:
- To get clicks, you must focus on framing things perfectly.
- Facebook is where people share. Other options: 1) reddit (good luck, if you crack it you are a god); 2) twitter (if you do it right, you can make a small dent); 3) tumblr (slow cook it to perfection).
- It’s not as much about having a conversation as it is about being conversational.
- Never stop testing your zany theories.
- If you can give your audience some information that they are honestly surprised by, they’ll share it.
- Middle-aged women are the biggest sharers on the Interwebs.
- You have to write 25 headlines for every piece of content.
Which gets me back to my tongue-in-cheek headline for this post. I will admit that I couldn't think of 25 Upworthy-ish headlines about our industry; I could only come up with 9. (Maybe I've just been doing this for too long.)
The rest is up to you! Post a comment with suggested Upworthy-ish headlines about our industry. If I get any takers I'll gather them together and re-publish them (with attribution and a link) in my next post. Let the creative juices flow!
True Tale of Heroism: I Built a Taxonomy in Less Than a Year!
You Won't Believe the Knowledge Worker Who Nearly Died Under a Pile of Documents!
A Tale of Personal Survival: How I Found My Way Back from #InfoChaos!
How the Variety, Velocity, and Volume of Information Nearly Killed Me!
How Content Management Saved Me From Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts!
#InfoOpportunity vs. #InfoChaos -- My Agonizing Choice!
Say YES to Ending the Mess -- How I Beat #InfoChaos!
I Survived for 14 Days in a Records Management Hell!
My Terrifying Encounter with Metadata!
OK, enough fun. Back to work. Get your Upworthy-ish titles in. And while you're at it, make sure you register for #AIIM14. Early-bird ends January 31 and the spots are filling up. (We sold out in '12 and '13.)